Sunday, September 3, 2017

Alta California's Recycling Bin

As I explore Ensenada's neighborhoods or just plainly go about my business in the city, I wonder...Do my friends and family in the United States know what happens to their old stuff?
While in the U.S., I often take part in conversations or see proud social media updates by friends, sharing how happy they are to finally be rid of household clutter.

Sometimes such updates include shocking before and after pictures and a proud statement containing personal reflections about consumerism, self improvement, thoughts on the environment or just the peaceful weightless feeling of having unloaded poor purchasing choices. I admit, I'm guilty of such statements and actions too. However, as I look around here and see an informal micro local economy sprouting and being sustained by our old stuff... I have concerns. First let me tell you, I know these things were ours because, I can tell the majority of the things being sold second hand here, are hard to find at local stores.
Also, because as I walk around inside or outside the "Segundas" (as the second hand stores are called here) I see sings such as..."shipments arrive from the other side on Friday" ("other side" means the U.S. BTW) I also see large pick ups trucks with U.S. California plates doing the transporting.
These "Segundas," are a major part of the local informal economy. Some people run them after their regular work hours, out of their garage or on the sidewalk at busy intersections.
On the bright side, part of me is glad they provide an exchange opportunity and chances for this still very usable items to be reused. These objects are also helping create jobs and producing a source of affordable household items and clothing for those who don’t have much money to spend.
Entire neighborhoods in the city are dedicated to side by side "segundas" and also informal stands pop up here and there where least expected.
In middle class areas of the city, one can also find "Saldos" stores, specializing in the sale of overstock products from popular chain stores in the U.S.
One of the many things that concern me about the sale of these items, is the lack of local disposal infrastructure once these items have lived their second or third life. I also ponder and repine over the fact such large amount of items exist in the first place. What are we doing? Do we really need to make or buy all those things in the first place? Just some random questions, I currently don't have an answer for...