Sunday, September 3, 2017

Tijuana Refugee Story


An uplifting real life refugee story from this morning.
I'm not sure if you know, but many Haitian refugees have been stuck in TJ for more than a year now, awaiting entry into the U.S.
Usually, when I travel thru here, I see them in their camp which resembles skid row in Los Ángeles. Today as I walked down the street, I saw this man dressed in what appeared to be a law enforcement uniform. At first glance my mind was puzzled, the color of his skin confused me for a minute as he did not resemble the average Afro-Mexican men I'm used to seeing, he was carrying a stop sign and in the confusion I thought he might have been a U.S. Cop walking around in the heart of TJ for some odd reason...and then, as he started directing traffic into a parking lot with a huge smile on his face, his accent helped me realize he was a refugee. He looked very proud to have a job.